RESERVATIONS: 0800 005 2244 ENQUIRIES: 01841 532486
Overlooking the busy harbour and town of Padstow, the building of The Metropole started in 1900 and was completed by 1904, costing £12,000 – including fittings. Constructed and owned by John Cory and Sons, a ship owning company, the hotel was built at the time the railways extended into Cornwall.
The Prince of Wales, a keen golfer, stayed at The Metropole, occupying room 6, whilst his valet and detective had adjoining rooms, and he used the hotel boat – ‘The Rosalie’ - to cross the river and play at St Enedoc. It is rumoured that Mrs Simpson stayed there with him on a number of occasions but hotel holds no records of this.
Trust House brought The Metropole in 1936 after the death of the founders and, later, it became part of the Forte Group. During the Second World War, it was requisitioned by the Admiralty and became an operational base for the WRAS.
During 1960, the hotel was extended to its present size. Keith Richardson purchased the hotel in 2002 and has since carried out an on-going refurbishment programme to modernise the hotel but also to highlight its period features.
View the Local Area